24 January 2013

Straya day...

I would like to take this opportunity to address the current issue of racism that surrounds Australia Day.
I see Australia as THE most multicultural country in the world and I wouldn't have it any other way.
The different cultures that help build and sustain our economy, and keep my taste buds tantalised should be recognised and embraced.. not discriminated and rejected.

‘It’s vital for all of us to start having the courage to speak out and change and identify those little things in everyday life that make a lot of our fellow citizens really miserable,’
This was quoted by Prof. Sandy Gifford of the La Trobe Refugee and Research Centre. Shes identified so much racial slur in the lead up to Aus Day.
We need to pull our racial thoughts back.

Someone asked me what I considered to be a true Australian. The first thing that naturally popped into my head were figures such as Julia Gillard and Steve Irwin, with that true Aussie accent.
But that wasn't my answer. My answer was anyone that can embrace and accept multiculturalism. THAT is a true Australian.

Imagine life in Melbourne (or anywhere else around Aus) without China Town, Little Italy and Little Spain? Little Vietnam or even all the Muslim and Lebanese bakeries? Melbourne, would NOT be Melbourne.

Australia has been voted one of the best livable countries in the world and after travelling to other countries you can definitely understand why.
Lets not forget the true owners of the land. Aboriginals should be equally treated as all other 'Australians'.
I saw a meme one day that had a picture of an Aboriginal and the caption was "You have a problem with boat people? So did we."
So before we go and judge and discriminate against 'boat people' just stop and remember that dating back to 1770, we are boat people too.

Happy Straya day...
from a Maori, Samoan & Chinese Australian Resident, that was born to be Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment